What Life was like in Venice During the 70’s – Here’s a Fun Article from the Venice Beachhead – MDR Condos
Venice in the 1970’s – The Venice Beachheads
I love this article and had to share!
I moved to Venice when I was 17 years old from freezing cold Pennsylvania. It was the weather, the ocean, and the bohemian lifestyle that made me fall in love with this little part of Los Angeles. Back in the early 70’s Venice was the bohemian nexus of Southern California; much like the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco was to Northern California.
During those days, many small California bungalows were for rent. These small homes were originally built as beach homes for people who lived in-land. Most of these bungalows were laid out in a plot or two of land in a rectangle grid like configuration, two rows of 3 or more bungalows from street side towards the back of the lot in a row with a strip of grass lawn separating the two rows of bungalows. Due to the proximity of each bungalow, neighbors would get to know one another well. The rent was $85 to $95 per month. I remember a single family home on Millwood Ave. and Palms Blvd. selling for $16,000 to $18,000. A larger corner house sold for $28,000. Those were the days.
I lived on California Ave. about a block from West Washington Blvd. (now known as Abbot Kinney Ave.) with my sister, Amy, in 1973. I ended up living in Venice for the next 25 or more years. The local public library was at the corner of California and Electric Ave. Also, at this time, the “Babe Brandelis Brig” bar was owned and run by the ex-boxer Babe, and his wife Betty. I knew the Brandelis’ pretty well. Obviously, Abbot Kinney has changed a lot.
Here’s another point of view of life back in the late 60’s/70’s is alive and going strong here >>>> www.rippop.com/
Here’s the article link from the Beachhead >>> http://freevenicebeachhead.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/venice-in-the-1970s/
- Warren Buffett: I’d Buy Up ‘A Couple Hundred Thousand’ Single-Family Homes – Marina del Rey Real Estate – MDR Condos
- Marina del Rey Skatepark – The Dog Bowl
- Lady Lola was Docked in Marina del Rey – Marina del Rey Mega Yachts
- Marina del Rey Lofts – MDR Lofts
- Innove Condos in Marina del Rey are on the Market – New Construction Marina del Rey
- Mega Yacht ‘Luna’ was off the Coast of Marina Del Rey Labor Day Weekend
- Larry Ellison may have added a New Marina del Rey High Rise Condo to his Real Estate Portfolio – Marina del Rey Condos
- Just Sold – 4778 La Villa Marina #K – 2 Week Escrow!
Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post.
It was funny. Keep on posting!
See the video RIP POP PIER. That’s what it was like.
Thank you for sharing that article. I never would have found that website otherwise. Really good read!