Venice Garden and Home Tour – Saturday May 5 – Venice Real Estate – MDR Condos
The 2012 Venice Garden and Home Tour promises to be another extraordinary event, featuring the East of Lincoln neighborhood, plus a satellite tour of the historic Gregory Ain tract in Mar Vista. Even if you’ve been on the tour in previous years, you will experience all new homes and gardens, as the neighborhoods change each year. See you Saturday May 5!
SPECIAL NOTE: The tour is spread out a bit this year, so be sure to allow plenty of time to see all the homes. We also suggest bringing a bike (and lock) as the best way to get around. Another option is to drive to and park in the tour area after first picking up your tickets at Las Doradas Children’s Center. A bus shuttle will also be available, but will take some time to complete the full tour circuit.
About the Tour
Annual Venice Garden and Home Tour
Saturday, May 5, 2012
|Start Location:||NYA Las Doradas Children’s Center
804 Broadway, Venice, CA 90291
(corner of Broadway & Pleasantview, 1 block west of Lincoln Blvd)
|When:||Saturday, May 5, 2012, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
(rain or shine!)
|Parking:||Free on-street parking is available. Free shuttle buses are also available along the route.|
|Tickets:||To purchase tickets, refer to our ticket information (tickets are non-refundable).|
|More Information:||Visit the FAQ, where you can find answers to many common questions about what to do and what to expect on tour day.If you still have any questions, please refer to our contact information.|
The 2012 Venice Garden and Home Tour will take tour-goers to Venice neighborhoods east of Lincoln Boulevard and into the Gregory Ain tract in Mar Vista. This eagerly anticipated garden tour gives visitors a look at intriguing gardens and architectural gems hidden behind gates and hedges and features homes from Venice’s historic past and the latest trends in landscaping and contemporary architecture.
- Tour-goers will walk, ride or bike through quiet, sun-drenched neighborhoods nearby, but distinctly, different from the bustling beach community. This neighborhood of wide streets and generous lots, where celery and bean fields were once farmed by the Japanese before World War II, is a unique reflection of the California dream. For decades Venice homeowners have embraced a California lifestyle of “flexibility, openness, experimentation and the abolition of boundaries by blurring the distinctions between indoors and out….” as aptly observed by Wendy Kaplan in Living In a Modern Way, California Design 1950-1965, the subject of LACMA’s Pacific Standard Time exhibit.
The tour will include contemporary homes and gardens by some of Los Angeles’ innovative homeowners and architects including Tom Carson, Dennis Gibbens, Daniel Monti, Santiago Ortiz and Ron Radziner and by landscape designers Russ Cletta, Jay Griffith, Rob Jones, and Suzanne McKevitt, among others. Visitors will notice vibrant color everywhere; touches of gold and burnt orange blooms contrast with muted chocolate browns, green and gray backgrounds. Rust colored stuccos and barn red wood structures stand near sleek, white contemporary cubes. These Venice gardens are carefully planned and nurtured settings that bring nature indoors, create landscaped spaces between home office and family residence, include pocket vegetable gardens, rooftop plantings, and an increasing use of drought tolerant plants. Venice residents set the trends with unique use of space and materials, make and display art to enrich their lives, and take pride in generously opening their gardens to visitors. Several artists’ studios will be open, including Cheri Pann and Ganzalo’s delightful “Mosaic Tile House.”
A feature of this year’s garden tour will be the architecturally significant Gregory Ain tract, a “Utopian” enclave of 52 modest one story homes from 1947 tucked into Mar Vista. Landscape architect Garrett Eckbo planted rows of trees to create a streetscape that unifies the neighborhood and gives it a park-like atmosphere. There is so much to see and enjoy as visitors meander through the various gardens and homes on this exceptional tour.
Founded 19 years ago, the Venice Garden abd Home Tour is the fundraising event that draws visitors from all over California and gives financial support for NYA’s Las Doradas Children’s Center, a licensed child care facility in Venice that provides full-time, education-based child care to low-income working families. In operation since 1991, the center offers children an opportunity for the care and additional guidance that prepares them to be effective learners, ready and eager to enter and excel in kindergarten, and soon become productive and fulfilled members of our community.
Saturday, April 28, 2012
These exclusive tours are a companion to the ever-popular Venice Garden and Home Tour, and are offered to major Sponsors of the event. All of these docent-led tours, via private coach, feature architecturally significant homes on the Westside, and include a continental breakfast and a catered lunch.
- Marina del Rey WaterBus is Now Running for Summer 2014
- Marina del Rey Silver Strand CC & R’s – HOA Documents for the Neighborhood – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Christmas Boat Parade in Marina del Rey 2014
- Larry Ellison may have added a New Marina del Rey High Rise Condo to his Real Estate Portfolio – Marina del Rey Condos
- Marina del Rey’s Fisherman’s Village May be Getting a Major Facelift!!
- FHA Mortgage Price Hike Hits Borrowers – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Marina del Rey’s Esprit Apartment Complex Sells for $225 million – 13900 Marquesas Way
- Meet Bobby Brown | Marina del Rey Water Bowl Dog of the Day