Qualifying for a Mortgage will be Harder in 2014 So Refinance Now – Marina del Rey Real Estate
Because of the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act, it may be more difficult to qualify for a mortgage starting January 2014.
By Terence Loose, Yahoo.com
You remember the housing market meltdown a few years back, along with the ensuing taxpayer-funded bailout of large lending institutions. Well, in an effort to regulate the lending industry and protect the consumer/taxpayer, Congress established the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 (Dodd-Frank Act). And many of its more ambitious new regulations will go into effect January 1, 2014.
The irony? Those changes may make it much more difficult for you to get a mortgage.
“Under the new rules, if banks want to lend correctly, by the book, they’re going to have to leave out a lot of borrowers who would otherwise qualify today for a mortgage,” says Jacob Gaffney, executive editor of HousingWire.com and HW Magazine, a financial publication covering the housing and mortgage industry.
In fact, according to a Housingwire blog post written by Marcus McCue, executive vice president at Guardian Mortgage in June 2013, 48 percent of borrowers who could get a mortgage through his bank today will not qualify after 2014.
So if you think you might be one of those in the 48 percent, you may want to read on and see why you should refinance now – before those new, stricter rules go into effect January 2014.
Reason #1: The Creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Reason #2: There Will Need to Be Fewer Foreclosures in the Future
Reason #3: Tighter “Ability to Pay” Rules
Reason #4: Lawsuits Could Be on the Rise
What this all means is that qualifying for a mortgage might mean clearing higher and higher bars than you would have to right now.
- FHA mortgage premium to rise on April 1 – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- FHA Mortgage Price Hike Hits Borrowers – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Warren Buffett: I’d Buy Up ‘A Couple Hundred Thousand’ Single-Family Homes – Marina del Rey Real Estate – MDR Condos
- Recap of Single Family Home Sales & Inventory in Marina del Rey
- Recap of Condo & Loft Sales & Inventory in Marina del Rey
- Google has Expanded its Borders to Playa Vista | Huge Land Acquisition in Playa Vista
- Ten Tips to Improve your Credit Score – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Marina del Rey Boat Parade – 51st Annual MDR Christmas Boat Show