Phase 2 ‘Runway’ Coming Soon to Playa Vista – TMZ, YouTube, Facebook, TOM’s Shoes, Fox are Calling Playa Vista Home
The City within the City is Growing
The $260-million project, called Runway at Playa Vista, located on the original runway of Mr. Howard Hughes, is intended to be the commercial and social heart of the planned community that has been under construction for more than a decade on land once controlled by aviation mogul Howard Hughes south of Marina del Rey.
Playa Vista already has more than 3,200 residences and 2 million square feet of offices but lacks a commercial and social town center, said Patti Sinclair, co-president of Playa Capital, the master developer of Playa Vista.
Runway will be next to Jefferson Boulevard and house a premium grocery store, 10-screen movie theater, “chef-driven” restaurants and shops. Apartments and office spaces will rise above ground-floor retail shops and top out at four stories.
The complex — about the size of four city blocks — should be mostly completed in about two years, but it is intended to look as if it evolved more slowly over time. Building materials similar to those used on well-known Los Angeles shopping streets such as Abbot Kinney Boulevard and Melrose Avenue will be incorporated, and full-grown native California trees will be brought in to add a sense of permanence.
Canopies will mark entry points, and small gathering areas will be set up around fountains and fire pits. Included in the design by Los Angeles architecture firm Johnson Fain is a 1,400-car garage accessible from Jefferson. There also will be underground parking for the 220 apartments in the first phase of Runway.
Developing Runway is Lincoln Property Co., which has erected office buildings at Playa Vista and is buying the 14-acre Runway site from Playa Capital. The center is intended to serve residents as well as a burgeoning creative office district nearby.
Among the existing and expected office tenants in the neighborhood are broadcaster TMZ, Facebook, Toms shoes, YouTube, Fox Interactive Media and ad agency Deutsch.
The overall 111-acre Phase 2 will include additional housing, offices and other features; construction will be done or underway in about four years, Sinclair said. Playa Vista will then cover 460 acres, less than half the original proposed size because of environmentalists’ dogged opposition.
More than three decades ago, property owner Summa Corp. and its affiliates (all related to the estate of Hughes, the aviator, engineer and film producer) envisioned an immense city within a city on 1,087 acres, with high-rise office buildings, thousands of residences, roadways through the wetlands, a golf course and a regional shopping center.
- The first residents arrived in 2002 amid concerns about what would become of the area’s coastal wetlands. The next year, the state approved $140 million to buy nearly 200 acres of the property west of Lincoln Boulevard to be restored and preserved as the Ballona Wetlands. Playa Vista agreed to donate or give up its right to develop an additional 415 acres.
- Lot Size2,469 sqftHome Size3,639 sq ftBeds4 bedsBaths5 bathsYear Built2017Days on Market22
- Lot Size2,330 sqftHome Size3,639 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths5 bathsYear Built2018Days on Market42
- Lot Size3,480 sqftHome Size4,288 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths5 bathsYear Built0Days on Market54
- Lot Size3,497 sqftHome Size4,288 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths5 bathsYear Built0Days on Market124
- Lot Size4,098 sqftHome Size4,494 sq ftBeds5 bedsBaths7 bathsYear Built0Days on Market145
- Lot Size3,929 sqftHome Size3,178 sq ftBeds4 bedsBaths5 bathsYear Built2011Days on Market167
- Lot Size1.45 acHome Size2,376 sq ftBeds3 bedsBaths4 bathsYear Built2002Days on Market188
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 1/22/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.
- Marina del Rey Latitude 33 Ocean View Penthouse for Sale – Marina del Rey Condos
- AMLI Marina Luxury Apartments are set to Replace Bar Harbor in Marina del Rey
- Latitude 33 Townhome for Sale | 310 Washington Blvd. #105
- Steel Lofts on Beach in Marina del Rey Lofts District – 13320 Beach
- Latitude 33 | 310 Washington BLVD #601, Marina del Rey
- View every Single Family, Condo, Loft and Townhome Home for Sale in Marina del Rey – Marina del Rey Real Estate – MDR Condos
- View Every Single Family Home for Sale in Marina del Rey – Marina del Rey Real Estate – Contact MDR Condos with any Questions firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lofts Available at the Gallery Lofts in Marina del Rey’s Loft District