Marina del Rey Skatepark – The Dog Bowl
This article is from the Marina del Rey Skatepark website:
- For sure go and visit it: http://www.marinadelreyskatepark.com/history.html
Timeline: Fall 1978 — Fall 1981
The infamous Marina Del Rey Skatepark was located near Santa Monica and Venice Beach – 12980 Culver blvd., Marina del Rey, CA
Marina Del Rey Skatepark was developed from concept by Dennis Ogden, a local surfer/skateboarder with a dream and a degree in Construction and Architecture from Santa Monica City College.
By November, 1978 the park was up and running.
The initial skating area consisted of, 3 tiled pools, a 10’ deep half pipe with a capsule at end, 3 bowls, a 230 yard long slalom with smooth transitioned banks and a large freestyle area with gentle sloping banks.
All common areas and terraces between the runs were finished so you could literally skate all around from the upper levels to the entrance.
The response was huge with the local skaters (Christian Hosoi), shredding along with visiting ambassadors of the sport, roller skaters and BMX’ers.
The famous punk rock band “Devo” filmed their early “Freedom of Choice” music video there.
Being close to “Hollywood” commercial film location requests was routine. TV pilots, commercials and movie segments were filmed, more contests were in the works and the place was jammed with stoked skaters. A custom sound mix was piped through the faux pool light speakers. This was a definite golden era for skaters in the Marina.
View the Devo video on Youtube (that’s how they want it):
1978 — Jay Adams, Marina Del Rey Skate Park – Image by David Scott
Marina del Rey Skatepark Facebook Page
– Click here to read up on the whole story
- “Wetland” Park Progress Update
- Marina del Rey Hotel is Getting a Face-lift! Opening Summer 2014
- Marina del Rey
- A Look Inside Del Rey Terrace in Marina del Rey | Marina del Rey Condos
- Marina del Rey Silver Strand CC & R’s – HOA Documents for the Neighborhood – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Former postal distribution center near Marina del Rey sells for $44,000,000.00
- Meet Charlie | Marina del Rey’s Water Bowl Dog of the Day
- Marina del Rey 4th of JULY! Come out and CELEBRATE!
Groovy, Nice pics too, pretty cool,
Wish I could’ve been there for its hayday! Are you THE Dennis Ogden?
I was 10yo and I got to skate MDR several times. One memory is of Christion Hosoi running back into the building to ask his pops for some duct tape so he could tape the pool coping the brown bowl in the back area.
Hosoi is so bada$$. Really cool you got to skate there!
I was 12 years skating with Shogo, Stacy Peralta, Jay Adams and Tony Alva. GOOD TIMES there!!