Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Mysterious West Coast ‘Green Flash’ Sunset Phenomena
Sunset science. III. Visual adaptation and green flashes
There is solid evidence that visual adaptation is important. One could not ask for a more convincing demonstration than C. Vaughan Starr’s report :
“a party of four of us, including two doctors, had discussed the possibility of this phenomenon being due to some effect in one’s eyes and not to refraction; to try this out two of us watched the sun carefully until it had set, while the other two looked eastwards and on a signal from the sun watchers turned quickly just as the sun was disappearing. The two who had watched continuously saw the green flash, while to those who did not look till the very last moment, the sun went downorangeyellow, and no green was seen.’
The setting Sun is so bright that it usually bleaches a large fraction of the redsensitive pigment from the retina of an attentive observer. To the bleached eye, light that would normally be perceived as yellow appears green. Thus, most sunset green flashes are actually yellow for about a second before any photographable green appears; typically, this is the first half of the visually green sunset flash. Even when the atmospheric aerosol loading is so great that no green light is transmitted at the horizon, a green flash may still be seen during the brighter yellow stage. The retinal bleaching that causes yellow light to be perceived as green helps explain the difficulty of photographing green flashes at sunset.
One should not forget that green flashes are also seen at sunrise, when the eye has not been previously exposed to bright light, and the retina is in its normal, unbleached state. Sunrise flashes are therefore seen more nearly in their intrinsic colors.
- Summer Activities in Marina del Rey
- Adjoining Owners are Equally Responsible for Shared Fences Between Properties
- Hello ~ 你好 ~ Bonjour ~ שלום ~ नमस्ते ~ Ciao ~ こんにちは ~ Olá ~ Привет ~ Hej ~ Merhaba ~ مدد
- Russian Billionaire Roman Abramovich’s Mega Yacht ‘Luna’ was off the Coast of Marina Del Rey Labor Day Weekend
- Sail Away in Marina del Rey | Local Sailing Groups to Check Out
- Ten Tips to Improve your Credit Score – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Guidance in Marina del Rey was Named One of the “Best Places to Work” in Los Angeles
- Larry Ellison may have added a New Marina del Rey High Rise Condo to his Real Estate Portfolio – Marina del Rey Condos