Marina del Rey Skatepark – The Dog Bowl
The infamous Marina Del Rey Skatepark was located near Santa Monica and Venice Beach – 12980 Culver blvd., Marina del Rey, CA
By November, 1978 the park was up and running.
The initial skating area consisted of, 3 tiled pools, a 10’ deep half pipe with a capsule at end, 3 bowls, a 230 yard long slalom with smooth transitioned banks and a large freestyle area with gentle sloping banks.
All common areas and terraces between the runs were finished so you could literally skate all around from the upper levels to the entrance.
The response was huge with the local skaters (Christian Hosoi), shredding along with visiting ambassadors of the sport, roller skaters and BMX’ers.
The famous punk rock band “Devo” filmed their early “Freedom of Choice” music video there.
Being close to “Hollywood” commercial film location requests was routine. TV pilots, commercials and movie segments were filmed, more contests were in the works and the place was jammed with stoked skaters. A custom sound mix was piped through the faux pool light speakers. This was a definite golden era for skaters in the Marina.
View the Devo video on Youtube (that’s how they want it):
1978 — Jay Adams, Marina Del Rey Skate Park – Image by David Scott
- View every Single Family, Condo, Loft and Townhome Home for Sale in Marina del Rey – Marina del Rey Real Estate – MDR Condos
- View Every Single Family Home for Sale in Marina del Rey – Marina del Rey Real Estate – Contact MDR Condos with any Questions firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marina del Rey’s Water Taxi is Back on June 18th, 2015
- Marina del Rey Hotel is Getting a Face-lift! Opening Summer 2014
- Hello ~ 你好 ~ Bonjour ~ שלום ~ नमस्ते ~ Ciao ~ こんにちは ~ Olá ~ Привет ~ Hej ~ Merhaba ~ مدد
- Marina del Rey 4th of JULY! Come out and CELEBRATE!
- Villa Velletri
- Former postal distribution center near Marina del Rey sells for $44,000,000.00