Electric Blue Waves Slap the California Shores Thanks to the Red Tide ~ Enjoy the Bioluminescent Show!
Neon blue bioluminescent waves caused by red tide
On the beaches of Southern California, a phytoplankton called Lingulodinium polyedrum is responsible for a spate of red tide. Massive algal blooms like this make the water ruddy during the day, but disrupting the microorganisms at night results in bursts of electric blue bioluminescence. Says Scripps Institution of Oceanography Professor Dr. Peter Franks of this phenomenon:
- Marina del Rey’s Oxford Retention Basin Multi-Use Enhancement Project
- Just Sold! 13310 Maxella Ave. #3, Marina del Rey – Villa Velletri
- Marina del Rey Hotel is Getting a Face-lift! Opening Summer 2014
- Russian Billionaire Roman Abramovich’s Mega Yacht ‘Luna’ was off the Coast of Marina Del Rey Labor Day Weekend
- FHA Mortgage Price Hike Hits Borrowers – Marina del Rey Real Estate
- Marina del Rey 4th of JULY! Come out and CELEBRATE!
- Best Restaurants of the Westside – Let’s EAT
- Sail Away in Marina del Rey | Local Sailing Groups to Check Out